Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Book Review

I have just finished, and thoroughly enjoyed, A Broom of One's Own by Nancy Peacock. The subtitle is "Words on Writing, Housecleaning, and Life" and that is exactly what this book is. Ms. Peacock worked as a housecleaner for a number of years and this is a collection of essays describing that life as it merged with her writing life. She is a good writer, easy to read, with a style that makes you want to keep reading even when your eyes are slowly closing. I read at bedtime almost every night so I often jerk awake when the book flops on my chest. I sometimes have trouble falling asleep once the light is off, so I try to read as long as I can, even with all the eye closing and book flopping, just to make sure that this is really it for me, time to really, really go to sleep. I am looking forward to reading one of Ms. Peacock's fiction works, Life Without Water. I recommend A Broom of One's Own and I will let you know about Life Without Water.

Another book I'm falling asleep with right now is Beware False Profits by Emilie Richards. This is one of a series of cozy mysteries set in Emerald Springs, Ohio, where Aggie Sloan Wilcox and her minister husband Ed unintentionally get involved in untangling murder mysteries. These are fun, light reads that I recommend for times when your brain can't handle any heavy lifting.

Another book I've got going on is The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. I keep it in my car for times when I have to wait on someone or just need to pass some time in my car. I admit it, I do eat lunch in my car sometimes. Just the other night, my nutty husband went into the grocery store and I opted to stay in the car reading my car book. My husband can take a very long time getting just a few things. He sees a lot of folks he knows in the grocery store and reads a lot of labels. It really is best that I stay in the car. I like Edith Wharton quite a bit but is is hard to pick up where you left off as her writing sytle is so unlike today's writers. She writes the heck out of a story. So much detail and nuance. Your brain really has to be fully engaged when you read a real writer like this. Finishing this book could take some time.

Anyone out there reading anything good?

No comments: