Saturday, June 21, 2008

Beach Week

In a few hours, our baby will return from Beach Week. This is the week when high schoolers go to the beach to see if they can bust out of the stranglehold their fascist parents have imposed on them all these years. It's just not a successful beach week unless someone (or many) gets arrested, gets wasted, gets assaulted, gets heartbroken, gets horribly sunburned or maimed. How can you prove to your parents that you are ready for college unless something really dreadful happens to you and you survive? See, mom, it's no big deal when I nearly get killed.

Here at the Nest, I suppose this has been good practice for when the real empty nest gets here. I don't like it much. Oh, it's been nice not to worry about feeding the young man. But I don't like all this silence. And I thought there'd be more sex.

I am looking forward to laying eyes on my baby, tanned and rested and ready for .... more rest? What on earth do high schoolers need with a beach week? When is the last time I had a beach week with no responsibility for children? Oh say, 28 years ago?? Now I am beginning to feel bitter and cranky, when I really need to be thinking about the groceries I need to go buy so the young lad can eat.

I'll get my beach week one of these days. I hope the grandkids can come too.

1 comment:

life in red shoes said...

I think Mothers always deserve a holiday! I have always looked forward to my nest being empty, #1 may be flying away soon and I don't think #2 will stay until she is 27! It's rather bittersweet isn't it?