Tuesday, July 22, 2008

We're Going to College

did you hear, Chris is coming to VT!

Just back from orientation at Virginia Tech. Hot there. Lot of walking. Good thing I'm not the one going to college.

We have an anxious child, and of course he was nervous when we got there. And who wouldn't be a little nervous about going to college. When we arrived on campus, I tried to lighten the mood by saying, as we looked across the big, big campus, "It's all yours, son." He didn't look like he thought much of that idea. I am happy to report that when we left, and he had his class schedule in hand, he looked and acted confident and assured. He'll be fine.

I was impressed by the beauty of the mountains in the early morning sun. I have ridden up and down I81 millions of times, but on this trip, the mountains made a big impression on me. All around were beautiful views, and at one point, I glanced in the side view mirror and was thoroughly distracted by the view behind us. Wow. We really do need to take better care of the planet, so these views are available for generations to come.

Tomorrow I go to take care of my two grandsons while their parents give birth to a new baby. They tell me it's a girl. We will know for sure soon. Wish us luck.

No comments: