Friday, July 4, 2008

My First Boat


Today I tried out my new kayak. People keep asking me what I plan to do with all the free time I'll have when my son goes off to college. I don't know but maybe kayaking is one of those things I can do to fill some of this time they say I'm going to have. Or I could take more naps.

Here is my nutty husband sitting in my new boat. He is a bit skeptical of this whole venture. He has a lack of comfort in bodies of water larger than the local pool. We'll have to work on that.
I wasn't very good at paddling my kayak. I was in the James River in an area with a current. A strong enough current to flummox me a bit, but with practice, I'll get better. Our instructor told us where to go, so when I launched my boat, I was to make it go starboard upstream (that would be to the right). I ineptly managed to go to the left and rapidly approached a large bridge support. I had enough sense to use my paddle to shove off that looming bridge support and get going in the right direction. My instructor took note of my ineptitude. There were over 40 of us for him to keep an eye on so he had others to call out for various goof ups. We had to paddle a ways upstream (that would be against the current) , get off of the kayak and get back on. Well, that was not pretty at all. Something else I'll need to practice. Maybe the local pool will let me practice there. I need the water to be still.
There's always knitting if this doesn't work out.

2 comments:

life in red shoes said...

Wear a lifejacket! I'd miss your posts.

Bigbro said...

Is this an STPT Program?