Sunday, May 25, 2008

Dearly Beloved ...

Thirty-three years ago today, 2 strangers stood side-by-side and pledged to have and to hold and all that good stuff in a pleasant backyard in the suburbs. Strangers who had known each other only six months and whose parents were aghast at the idea that they would want to get married. And they had just finished college a week ago! Actually, due to frequent changes of major, the bride had another semester to go. But what good is college for girls anyway?


I thought then, and still think, that if you don't know if you want to marry someone after six months of serious courtship, then the answer is no, don't get married. What good will another 6 months or 2 years do in figuring out if you can live with this person for the rest of your life?


I know if our parents were alive, they would be proud of us for proving all of them wrong on this one issue.


Today my husband has asked me to go on a hike with him. This is the same man who tricked me into going on a 32 mile bike ride for which I was totally unprepared. Yet I still trust him and will go on this mystery hike no matter where it leads us, as long as there are snacks.


Some times you just have to have faith. And having a good partner helps too.



2 comments:

life in red shoes said...

The photo is priceless! This will be 31 for the Mr. and me. Our daughter is dating a great guy, only 2 weeks into it and they are talking marriage. They are both 27and level-headed. I think 6 months is plenty of time!

Barbara said...

I remember Ms. Blogger when she looked like this. And, I remember her and her husband trucking off (literally) over Route 60 from Richmond to Lexington, KY, for her to work on her master's degree. It was 7/7/77 (or thereabouts). Those were the days, my friend....