Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Insouciance

We live with a high school senior. Today I thought the word "insouciance" seemed fitting for his demeanor. This is a fancy word for senior-itis. We've got it big time. Staying out late. Counting the days till classes end. Just one exam to be taken, in math, which as everyone knows is hopeless so why get worked up over it.

To be truthful, I am very happy to see him so lighthearted. He has at times been an anxious person. He is a good student (the smartest one, I tell the other boys) and a dedicated runner. He is respectful and pleasant to adults. He has a good sense of humor and can be fun to be with. He pays attention to world events and will probably make good choices as to a major and career. He is going to Virginia tech and I think he is just catching on to how much fun college will be.

I am proud of him and hope he enjoys these halcyon days of nonchalant unconcern.


1 comment: