Sunday, May 11, 2008

Virginia Colussy Cooke


January 5, 1925-September 29, 1981




Today is the 100th anniversary of Mother's Day. I was pondering what to write, on this day made just for me, a 3 time mother, when I remembered that I also had a mother. I mentioned her in yesterday's post. So here is something about my mom.

She was loved by all for her vivacity and generosity. If you needed a good listener or someone to cheer you up, she was the one to do it. She raised 3 children and worked outside the home, yet her house was always spotless and welcoming. How on earth she did that, I will never understand. The spotless part I mean. She had lots of energy and loved to be outdoors working in her yard or having adventures. My mom was a wonderful cook and I wish I had paid more attention so I could make scalloped potatoes like hers, or meatloaf, or wilted lettuce salad.

She waited her whole adult life for grandchildren, but her life was tragically cut short at age 56. She succumbed to lung cancer, after surviving a bout with breast cancer a number of years earlier. I can remember my mother taking good care of friends or relatives who were ill, such as her friend Edith who battled throat cancer and my aunt Ida. My mother was a volunteer for Reach to Recovery, a group for breast cancer survivors who would visit women with breast cancer to give support and advice.

My mother died when my oldest son was not quite 2 years old. She would have loved all 3 of my children and I often think about how much pleasure she would get from being their grandma. As a grandma myself, it breaks my heart to know now what she is missing. Here is a photo of her with my nephews Christopher and Russell, taken in 1978.




I am glad she was my mom and am proud to share her with the whole Internet.

No comments: