Sunday, March 8, 2009

Barbie's Birthday

We're celebrating at our house. It's Barbie's birthday! You know, the sexy new doll who arrived on the scene in 1959 on a mission to turn all girls into sexpot hooker airline attendants.
Well, I am here to tell you that having a Barbie did not do that to me, or hasn't so far. I am neither promiscuous nor anorexic but I sure did like playing with my Barbie. She's having a fashion show at my house. Have a look.






I believe that I received my first Barbie in 1962 when I was 9. I have to guess at that; the little fashion booklets have a date of 1962 but one of the booklets has no cover and looks older. So it may have been 1961 when I got my #1 Ponytail, as she is called by collectors. My Barbie is not NRFB*, but she is in good shape. I have lots of shoes and accessories. I am proud that I took such good care of her. The secret is to preserving your toys is to never let your children play with them. Take a look at dopey Ken in this photo:




My children did play with him and he looks it. I never had much use for Ken. His clothes were boring and he has a zombie-like demeanor.

I also had a second Barbie for whom I never developed much of an attachment. I have dressed her here in the fanciest dress in the Barbie closet, to make up for all the neglect she suffered over the years.
My original Barbie is in good shape. Her only defect is a bad case of "green ear" which comes from her metal earrings. Your ears would be green too if you'd worn the same earrings constantly for 49 years. She shows no signs of fading or chipped make-up or nail polish. I think my original Barbie is much prettier than my second Barbie. See what you think:


Second Barbie has sort of a zombie look, not unlike Ken.

Here's orginal Barbie in her iconic swimsuit:


If I had a figure like this, this is the only outfit I'd ever wear.


Have a great day at the beach, everyone!







No comments: