Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day USA

As I told a friend recently, I have been as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs over this election. I am now back from voting and can say that I really do feel better now.

I have been imagining all the things that can go wrong -- misreading the ballot or tripping and accidentally pressing the wrong button or oversleeping -- all those crazy dreams you have about exams. Sheesh, I am way too old for this stuff.

At my precinct ,the wait was about 45 minutes. I have voted at this location for 21 years and have never had to wait. I arrived a few minutes after 6 a.m. As I looked at the other folks, I tried to guess which way they'd be voting, but I gave that up because anymore you just don't know who is really mad at Bush and taking it out on McCain, and who thinks Obama will bring on a reign of terror including killing all the white folks. No wonder I'm exhausted.

I feel pretty silly about all this emotion but then I talk to other folks and find that they feel the same way. It's a national craze apparently.

I don't have anything bad to report about my voting experience. I walked to the school where I vote and one of my socks slid down in my shoe; that was really the only unpleasant thing I have to report. As I was leaving after voting, the PTA mothers were arriving with their bake sale goodies, a tradition at this school. I hope they make thousands of dollars this year.

Enjoy the day and remember that long lines are a good thing, a sign of democracy at work.



No comments: