Friday, August 8, 2014

Move on people


Let’s pretend I’m new to the Richmond area and know nothing about the history of Douglas Southall Freeman High School.  I’m looking at areas to buy a house and I have kids who will go to high school some day.  I know very little about the Civil War as I did not go to school in a southern state.  I know nothing about the Pulitzer prize winning biographer for whom the school is named.  I just want a good school for my kids.

So I see this image representing this school with pretty good ratings and a long name of some dead guy.

I think, well that’s an unusual mascot.  I wonder what it means.  Clearly the man is running from something,  And his outfit looks dated.  I wonder if he’s a moonshiner running from the law.  Or maybe that is an image of Douglas Southall Freeman.  I look to see the team name, you know,  Tigers or Panthers or some other typical team name.  Rebels??  Well that’s different too.  Like Sandinistas?  Like revolutionary war rebels who became Americans?  Maybe the team name is the Americans?  Or maybe he’s an unwanted suitor running from the girl’s daddy who’s got a shotgun aimed at him? Maybe the team name is the Runners? Seems like a lot of gear for a runner.

I ask my fifth grade son who liked studying the Civil War and went to a Virginia school and he says "duh, mom, that’s a confederate soldier.  Can I have a snack?"

So as I continue my search for a neighborhood with a good school, I keep that in mind.  It’s not a deal breaker, but it does say something revealing about the attitude of this school district.  I'll need to keep an eye on these people if we move into this district.

Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land

No comments: