Monday, February 18, 2013

Moving jitters

Well, let's see how this bloggy machine works.

The Empty Nest is moving to a new house and this will be my last posting from this venue.  My nutty husband says we will have the intertubes all hooked up when we move in, so I'll report on our perilous river crossing from the new house.

I'm looking forward to moving but I've been plagued with vague, non-specific anxiety for a couple of weeks now.  We are very worried about our pets.  The dog will be OK and the crazy old cat will probably be OK, it's the feral cats we're worried about.  Wonder if they can't take the stress?  New trees to climb, no fence around the yard to scale, no orange bully cat to intimidate them.

We bought them collars with the idea that we'd put name tags on them so if they get lost, a good samaritan will return them.

At the pet store there were too many choices so I grabbed the first black and white collars in one-size fits all size.  The ferals are black and white and I want them to look good as they wander the new neighborhood.  The collar is black with white fish.  Isn't that just too cute?!  I didn't notice until I got home that they are "Martha Stewart" brand collars.  Good lord, I wonder how much I spent on these?  I also bought a litter box with a hood and some weird looking paper litter.   Do you know how many choices there are in litter boxes and types of litter??  You can see why I just grabbed the first collars that I knew would fit around Tux's impressively large neck.

The litter box has been steadfastly ignored.  We had no problem getting Tippy into her collar.  Tux was more challenging.  Anything to do with Tux requires tremendous patience.  We finally got it on and boy was he mad.  He darted around the house trying to get out of it.  Then he hid for about 24 hours.  He did come down for breakfast this morning.  He went outside and it was cold, so he came to the door to come in but when he saw me he'd dart away, shaking his head.  I think the bell is the problem.  Finally I left the door open and walked away.  Then he came in to eat as it had been almost an hour since he had breakfast. 

Here are some kitty photos.  Please humor me and admire them.  I can't handle any more stress.

 Tippy styling in her Martha Stewart collar

 Tux is waiting for his show to come on.  He likes Bones

 Tippy does not have moving stress.

1 comment:

Dave K said...

Janet ~ How did your "feral cats" make out in your move? We hope they all did well -- I've read that pets who live part in and part out can become disoriented when their people take them on moves and that they should transition a bit to their new surroundings -- hopefully, you and your guys transitioned easily.

But, now, we should talk about why you let your cats go outdoors at all. We brought all of our guys indoors and they (and we) couldn't be happier about the decision. :-)