Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome 2011 ... I guess

The final quarter of 2010 was  a bit hard on me, so I've really been looking forward to 2011.  

Not to be overly whiny, but I have put up with a lot of pain since August.  First knee surgery, then a bad case of achilles tendonitis, then some weird hip pain for which I just had an MRI last week to find the cause.  The MRI was hideous because I thought I'd be brave and do without valium.  Boy, that was 20 minutes of pure hell.

My man and I went on a segway ride on Dec. 31, the last day possible before the gift certificate he gave me for Xmas 2009 expired.  It was a beautiful day and things were going along well (except the downhills, where gravity is not my friend)  when the left wheel of my segway caught on the doorframe of a floodwall door and dumped me over and I landed hard on my right shoulder.  I think I tried to break my fall with my right hand.  I believe the medical term for what I sustained is an arm jam.  You can look that up if you don't believe me.  At home I iced my shoulder and drank half a beer (standard medical procedure for an arm jam) and then we decided a visit to the ER might be in order.  X-rays showed that nothing was broken.  The upside of a trip to the ER is that they give you good drugs.  

Another upside to being tossed off of a segway onto my right side is that my left side hip pain is nearly gone.  Perhaps the impact fixed the pinched nerve affecting the left side.

So this morning I get up and move around and the shoulder's not bad at all.  After I'd been up for an hour or so, a huge wave of nausea washed over me and I now seem to have one of those 24 hour viruses that make you feel crappy all over.  Throwing up is actually a relief.  I never thought I'd say that.

So I've decided to postpone my 2011 until tomorrow.  It's going to be a really great year for me.  I'm sure of it.

No comments: